Monday, January 02, 2006

Firefox 1.5

I got tired of waiting for Fedora Core to move version 1.5 of the Firefox web browser from the development tree into "updates," so I went and installed my own copy, in /home/local/firefox.

When it's launched, Firefox 1.5 (hereafter FF1.5) comes up with an error message,

Firefox could not install this item because of a failure in Chrome Registration. Please contact the author about this problem.

This turns out to be a known bug. The solution (which will be in the next release) is to create a file


after which the error message should vanish.

Other than that, FF1.5 works pretty much like FF1.06. Some of the menu options are a little different, maybe better, maybe not, I haven't decided as yet.

I was going to go on about the wonders of FF1.5, except that in the middle of listing all of the wonderful extensions I loaded up, the browser crashed — not just itself, but X11 as well. I had to do ctrl-alt-F1 to get to a text console, and reboot from there. This happened yesterday, and the day before, and yada, yada, yada. This turns out to be another bug which will be fixed in the next release. It's fixed in the nightly builds, now. (It's a Linux-only bug, apparently.)

But I think I'll wait until then to tell you about the wonders of Firefox.


Anonymous said...

Firefox 1.5 is available from freshrpms:

Not that it matter much now, but... :-)

FWIW, lyx is not alien to you, is it? :-)

rcjhawk said...

Lyx, or lynx?

lyx is a TeX like processor, which I've never used.

Lynx is a text based web-browser, which I use when i just want an ASCII page. It was originally invented at KU, but long after I'd left.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about lyx (the editor) since I am on of the developers. :-)

The funny thing is that I found your blog while searching for linux sage. ;-)

sage is a python interface to some mathematical tools, a nice project. I was searching for spec files to inspire me to write a srpm to submit to Fedora Extras...

rcjhawk said...


We really need an open source project name generator/duplication avoider. Then two different projects couldn't have the same name.

Of course, the next project name might be Twittering Beelzebub.

I've tried using the Maxima component of Sage. Unfortunately, I was raised on Mathematica (not my fault, really) and so I have difficulty learning a new syntax.

Hmm. Now I have to use the word verification feature to log into my own blog. Oh well, it's better than getting the "High, I've read your blog about sagebrush. Please visit my blog on Viagra replacements."