Saturday, June 25, 2005

Package Selection

This is always to time consuming part. I should make up my own distribution so I wouldn't have to do this every time -- oh, wait, then I'd have to do everything.

The default install has X and Gnome. Keep that. Add "Eye of Gnome" image viewer. Remove Gnome Pilot, since I don't have one.

Install KDE and the KDE development package.

Editors: Keep VIM, add Emacs

Scientific: Add Gnuplot

Graphical Internet: Keep evolution and firefox as the main packages, but add thunderbird for email just in case I want to switch. Also add the GNOME epiphany browser, 'cause ya' never know.

Text Internet: Add the lynx browser, my favorite. Get rid of mutt and slrn, which I've never used.

Office/Productivity: add xpdf and tetex-xdvi. Where's tetex (the TeX/LaTeX distribution for Linux.) OpenOffice is installed by default, no sign of AbiWord.

Sound and video: add my favorite burner program, k3b, as well as kdemultimedia. HelixPlayer comes with the distribution, but not RealPlayer, which we'll get later.

Authoring and Publishing: Here's tetex.

Graphics: add kdegraphics: shouldn't all the kde stuff be in one spot? The Gimp and ImageMagick are in by default.

Games and entertainment: add kdeedu and kdegames. Delete joystick.

Servers: Leave this stuff out, at least for now. There is a Windows File Server (Samba) section, but we don't need that right now.

Development tools: add "expect", which lets you create interactive scripts.

GNOME software development: add lib*java bindings

Legacy software development: add the compat-gcc and compat-libstdc packages.

Java development: add

System tools: the default includes the zsh shell, so add.

Printing support: Leave it in, I'm getting a printer here Real Soon Now.

And now the system checks for dependencies.

Click next to begin installation of Fedora Core

OK, here we go.

0 comments: