Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Fixing sound-juicer

From our gee-I-don't-have-a-clue-why-it-works department:

I've been ripping my CDs so that I can convert them to MP3s to play on my car stereo system -- OK, I can play the regular CDs, too, but I can pack more MP3s onto a disk, and I can then play the songs in random order if I like.

My tool for doing this is sound-juicer, which comes with Fedora Core 3. Up until last night it worked just fine. Then, for some reason, I get the message:

The plugin necessary for CD access was not found

and the thing refuses to run. So, with a little Googling (TM), I find Sound Juicer... Easy Music, which tells me that

If you get an error saying "The plugin necessary for CD access was not found" when you try to load the Sound Juicer, simply open a console and type in "gst-register" and press enter. That will fix the problem. Restart Sound Juicer and it should load without a hitch.

OK, on my machine the command happens to be gst-register-0.8, which is part of the gstreamer package, for what that's worth. Running the command sets up a whole slew of plugins, one of which (I guess) is for sound-juicer.

And it works. What got corrupted, I don't know, but it works now.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the tip. Same happened to my sound juicer, your tip fixed it sweet

bob