Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Ripping Direct to MP3

Of course, the main purpose of previous entry was to convert ogg formatted sound files to mp3 so that I could burn them to a CD and play them in my car. Why did I need the conversion? Because I was using sound-juicer to rip files from CDs, the juice defaults to ogg for compressed files, and anyway in FC4 there is no support for MP3s in there.

I thought that maybe, just maybe, I could use the same trick on sound-juicer as we did on SoX, but that turns out to be rather difficult. So the best thing to do is follow the advice in that link and use Grip to burn CDs. As long as the lame package is present, Grip will rip CDs to MP3 format if you ask. There is a small bit of configuring required, but it works very well.

Now I just have to re-rip all those CDs.

3 comments:

Carol Davidson said...

Uh. Lemme get my decoder ring. Be right back.

Anonymous said...

If you can find a package of gstreamer-lame for FC4 (which I'm sure someone has created but RH can't ship), the the Sound Juicer manual covers creating a MP3 audio profile.

rcjhawk said...

Thank you! The library is in the livna repository. I've set up and tested the plugin, but sound-juicer is giving me a few problems.