Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Virtualization in a New HP Computer

I just bought a new HP Pavilion 15 as a possible desktop replacement.

Naturally, I want to run Linux on this baby, but I'm still not sure I'll keep it. So until I decide for sure, let's put Linux on a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox. This is how I run Linux on my work Mac.

No problem, right? Well ...,

Install VirtualBox on the HP, get an ISO of your favorite Linux distribution, and go to town. Right?

Except when you turn on VirtualBox, you get a message

VT-x is not available.

It seems that virtualization is disabled on new HP machines, and probably others. Except Macs.

The solution is the turn on virtualization in the BIOS. Which is only tricky if you don't know how to get to the BIOS, which is likely because it changes from machine to machine.

AMIDuOS has the solution for HP systems. For other systems, look around, hopefully you'll find something.

Have Fun

0 comments: