Saturday, September 18, 2010

Back to Blogging

Well, not really, just another placeholder/bookmark entry. It was a busy summer, and now I'm coming up on Fiscal New Year's Day.

From our Department of Procrastination: I owe y'all a follow-up to Finding Your External IP Address, where I show you how to use the thing, i.e., log onto any computer in your house from anyplace else in the Universe. This is half-written, so maybe in a week or two it will actually get posted.

Book Reviews: I really want to mention the greatest history book ever written, Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen. I lost the first edition long ago, but a second, substantially rewritten, edition is now out. Find it, buy it, read it. You won't agree with everything, but you'll agree that it's relevant.

Another one: Human Smoke, by Nicholson Baker. It's just a collection of quotations and stories from the end of World War I to the end of 1941. No one, and I mean no one, comes off well here. None of your heroes, and certainly none of your villains. You'll have to read it slowly, because it's just too damn depressing to read all at once. But read it. It covers that part of history that Loewen complains is left out of history books.

Tips and tricks: A recent update to my Chromium browser (Google Chrome, if you're using a branded version) left me without a bookmark toolbar. Annoying. Reading through this entire comment, and noting that I don't seem to have an option for this under the wrench, I found that Ctrl-Shift-B toggles the toolbar.

We'll get back to real live articles Real Soon Now. I hope.

0 comments: