Tuesday, June 01, 2010

CUPS and a Wireless Printer

Eric Raymond once wrote a famous essay about the difficulty of using Linux's Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS) to set up a printer over a network. Thus, when we got ChildII's new HP C4780 Wireless Printer/Scanner I was less than optimistic about getting it Hal to access it. I mean, we're talking about a wireless printer which is talking to a Verizon FIOS wireless router, and through that to a Linux computer? No way.

I should note that I wouldn't go out and buy an inkjet printer on its own, anymore, particularly an HP. But we just got ChildII a MacBook Pro (new college uses Macs, and Mac Photoshop, for art projects), and they threw in an iPod Touch (which I get to glance at longingly) and the HP (which it's my duty to set up, operate, and maintain). So we got the thing, we might as well use it. Anyway, having a wireless or networked printer for a MacBook is an essential, given that the thing only has two USB and one Firewire port.

Setting up the HP required that I use the Mac or a PC, connected by USB to the printer, to enter the network login information. Given the connection between open source software and printers this left me a little chagrined, but I'm not RMS so I let it slide. Anyway, I didn't expect the thing to work with Linux, remember?

It took about a half-hour to install the software and drivers onto a Mac, and set up the printer. We tested the printer and scanner via wireless, and it all worked fine, though the scanner was pretty slow, much slower than my USB Canon. It all worked, though.

Then it took another half hour or so to install everything on a Windows PC. Again, it all worked flawlessly.

OK, let's try our luck. I left the printer on, went downstairs to Hal, clicked on System => Administration => Printing and watched the CUPS interface come up. Hit Add, Printer, Find Network Printer. Blinked. There it was, an HP C4700 type printer. Unlike the Canon, all the drivers were already available, I didn't have to play guess-the-correct-version. Within five minutes of clicking that Printing button I was printing a test page from Hal back to the printer.

Now all is not sweetness and light. While CUPS had no problem finding the printer, SANE, the corresponding program for scanners, couldn't find the HP. Not surprising, I guess, but it would have been nice if everything worked out. Of course I'm not particularly sure what good a remote scanner does anyone, especially if, like, me, they use it primarily to scan old pictures onto a disk.

But to summarize, things have much improved since the days of ESR's essay.

And I've got to look into getting a networked color Laser printer.

15 comments:

Thaddaeus said...

Thus, when we got ChildII's new HP C4780 Wireless Printer/Scanner I was less than optimistic about getting it Hal to access it. I mean, we're ... hpwlan.blogspot.de

Selena Gomez said...

Thanks for all your efforts that you have put in this .very interesting information.i would like to do all the information.
Snapdeal Coupon

Netthu said...

Great blog! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the information are well written.

123HPEnvy 4507 Install

Unknown said...

Wow! That's really great information guys.I know lot of new things here. Really great contribution.Thank you .

123 hp

Ann said...


Thanks for sharing this great info with us.


123 HP Wireless Printer Setup - 1888 580 0856 123.hp.com

rosemary said...

A very interesting article. The insights are really helpful and informative. Thanks for posting.
123 HP Officejet Pro 8616 Printer Setup

Unknown said...

I am really impressed along with your writing skills and also with the format on your blog.
Hp Envy 7646 Wireless Setup

ranjini said...




Thank you. I just wanted to know where to ship it since I know now to keep producing it


123 HP Officejet 5743 Install

Unknown said...

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You definitely know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something informative to read? you can look here

joe karki said...

Really its very useful information that you have shared and thanks for sharing the information with us.
123 HP envy4507

Denmidel Javan said...

https://goo.gl/UC4MTi

Moses haloon said...

https://goo.gl/VHa6aU

Port Station said...

Disciplined Judgement 123.hp.com , Distinct Key 123.hp.com , Diverting Knowledge 123.hp.com , Doable Leading 123.hp.com

Franklin said...

A1 Advice 123.hp.com , Absolute Agenda 123.hp.com , Absolutely Aim 123.hp.com , Acceptable Anecode 123.hp.com , Accepted Apex 123.hp.com , Accepting Appreciable 123.hp.com

Samuel said...

Really awesome blog. Your blog is really useful for me. Thanks for sharing this informative blog. Keep update your blog.

123 hp setup printer setup