Saturday, April 15, 2006

Deconstructing Debian Packages

Remember I said that I hadn't figured out how to determine which Debian packages were installed and what they contained? OK, maybe I didn't say all that, but I implied it. After a good deal of searching, I found a good explanation of options for dpkg. It's useful to make a little table showing the equivalence between RedHat/Fedora RPM and yum commands and dpkg:

Description Debian Command Fedora Command
List installed packages: dpkg -l rpm -qa
List all available packages: dpkg -l '*' yum list
List contents of package: dpkg -L package_name rpm -ql package_name
Find the package that installed file dpkg -S file rpm -qf file
Install a package apt-get install package_name rpm -i package_name
or yum install package_name
Remove a package dpkg --purge package_name rpm -e package_name

Of course, any commands the add, remove, or update files will need to be run as root or with the sudo command.

Anything else that's useful?

0 comments: